Monday 2 December 2013

RESEARCH: REMBRANDT

Rembrandt painted over 100 self portraits during his time as a painter. They are so important to his work collectively and they show and document the artist visually over 40 years. 

Rembrandt
Detail from Rembrandt, Self Portrait at the Age of 63, 1669








Its so interesting how different they all are. He almost looks like a different person. It got me thinking about an idea for a future project. All about self-portraits of myself. One a day, I'm tempted to start tomorrow just so I've got them as time span is important - as long as possible, which is obviously shown so well with Rembrandt's work - 40 years! The work is so interesting, and each portrait is so different but they all have some notes that run through each making them all work so well together. 

With my current project, obviously I won't have a large number of pictures of one person (that I know of?! I have told people to only take one photo each but I can't guarantee that that will have actually happened.) so the result won't be the same but it's the idea of how change can appear so drastically in photographs which is what I find so interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment